Grunt Captain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grunt Captain

I play more of a control style of deck (below), and tend to rely on Grunt Captain early dropping Shield Grunts after captures.

The problem is he falls off really fast for the cost (4).

I don't have Boomer or Sentry Tech, but should I maybe replace him?

Thanks.

Holo Grenadier
    Pyro Bruiser
    Grunt Captain

Reserve Stryder
    Reserve Ogre
    Core Ion

Grunts
    Shield Grunts
    Mine
    Sentry Turret

So it depends almost heavily on the level of your cards (unfortunately). I typically run The stim bruiser for his ability to hit multiple units, which helps the pyro and holo grenadier mop up groups on hard points. I also run the smoke stryder or ronin in place of the reserve stryder. I think there are still a lot of good options, just depends on what you have and how you play.

Comment

The Grunt and Spectre captains, when they are used optimally, are some of the most frustrating pilots in the game to fight against. A grunt captain that recaps points when you have good map control just locks them down brutally. You get a ton of value out of him. The problem, though, is that the higher into ranks you get, the more people will start to look out for him and try to rob you of that value. In gold, people will watch where you deploy your 4 supply pilot and will make a point to try and kill him early before you can get good value out of him, and every time it happens you're down a lot of supply, because he costs as much as a standard Titan and is actually pretty mediocre in fights due to his sub-optimal attack range and robotic damage focus.

I'd consider him a fun option for Mid-Silver rank and lower. Once you start pushing into gold, you'll find that these pilots work less and less consistently. You can still get wins, don't get me wrong, but it depends a lot on your opponent making poor tactical decisions. I think it's better to focus on a pilot set that can consistently win fights and kill other pilots.

Holo Grenadier and Pyro Bruiser work well together, so I think that's an awesome idea to build around. Your comp looks light on good options against 4-cost and up Titans unless you get your Core Ion out. I'd pair Holo and Pyro with a strong single-target damage unit like Gunner, personally, if you have him. Another often overlooked option is Arc Bruiser. The mines he leaves behind are extremely valuable and deal a lot of damage, and you can fish a lot of value out of him if he stays alive and captures points. He only costs 3 supply, best of all, so you're not as badly punished if he dies.

Otherwise; EchoTempo has good advice. If your common pilots at 2 cost are leveled decently, they can make good options thanks to their really low cost. Stim Bruiser has a little AOE and added longevity on caps, which is worth. I think he's my favorite common pilot.

Comment

• EchoTempo
        EchoTempo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, my problem now on my miserable journey to try and make it into gold 2, I get stuck against sim ninja/boomer combos, which even when under leveled up to 4 levels beneath my entire team still wipe them out entirely, which is frustrating. If its not that, I get paired up against players with teams with the minimum level being 11, and that's just a bad experience too, haha.

Same here. As a f2p player I've been told we cap in gold so I'm hoping that doesn't hold true. Having a hell of a time cracking gold 2 atm.

Comment

EchoTempo yeah my deck which I posted has got me up to gold 3. You have to focus the boomer and the arc bruiser I didn't know he left mines behind. That counters stim ninja hard cause he gets daised and a gunner can do clean up then. Bomer seems to have issues with the charge rifle. But yeah if the player is good boomer ninja wins always if not you can squeeze a win our with decks like mine. Unfortunately I finally got a stimulus ninja and yeah super op. Good players don't make it past 50 points v's meknow >, < I can't understand why put a card like him in the game at all. Even if they kill him quick he always gets off 2 slashes and that leaves a whole group of units one shot. Hell I run holo pilot right behind him for clean up. I've fought guys with all 3 legendary pilots at gold 3 into platinum 1 and omg no way to beat that. Even with thme all at lvl 8 they kill anything 2 to 3 lvls above them and that's a 125% increase to the strength and the legendary pilots don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by KesTuCos View Post
          EchoTempo yeah my deck which I posted has got me up to gold 3. You have to focus the boomer and the arc bruiser I didn't know he left mines behind. That counters stim ninja hard cause he gets daised and a gunner can do clean up then. Bomer seems to have issues with the charge rifle. But yeah if the player is good boomer ninja wins always if not you can squeeze a win our with decks like mine. Unfortunately I finally got a stimulus ninja and yeah super op. Good players don't make it past 50 points v's meknow >, < I can't understand why put a card like him in the game at all. Even if they kill him quick he always gets off 2 slashes and that leaves a whole group of units one shot. Hell I run holo pilot right behind him for clean up. I've fought guys with all 3 legendary pilots at gold 3 into platinum 1 and omg no way to beat that. Even with thme all at lvl 8 they kill anything 2 to 3 lvls above them and that's a 125% increase to the strength and the legendary pilots don't care.
          I've found that drones deal with sim and pyro just fine and as for gunner I gotta toss a stutter in there to trip up a boomer but I do it often enough. I'm not scared of any particular card as there's a way around it kinda, boomer for instance I gotta dump 5 to gank the stupid thing, that being worst case scenario. What does scare me is just straight levels and nimble fingers of ADHD kids whooping on me. Lol

Comment

Working...
          X